Halfway through the book I thought that it was a good and interesting insight
into different cultures, but it didn't get my blood pounding or give me that 'I
have to know what happens next, right now' feeling. I enjoyed reading about the
different, but similar, cultural identity struggles the characters went through,
but there wasn't any opportunity to really learn and understand these internal
struggles, as Smith quickly moved on to the next character just as I was getting
into it.
The book also felt quite long, with the feeling that not much
was really going on. It felt like two books, split in two by the arrival of the
Chalfens. Could have easily been half as long. So much waffle I got bored at the
end. The end also really annoyed me, introducing new characters in the last 70
pages and then doing nothing with them.
Halfway through I was set to give
it a reasonable 3/5, but it was too long with no real reason for it. This isn't
a book I'll be keeping.
2/5
NB: Entered into the Hogwarts Reading Challenge 2012 under Muggle Studies, as it deals with race, multi-culturism and different religions quite well, and again as Muggle Studies is about learning about a different culture, I thought it would fit in well.
No comments:
Post a Comment