Sunday, 30 December 2012

The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins

I'm not a big fan of films being made which replace books, or films that get people reading certain books but stopping there. I also like to read books first before I watch the film, as the imagination is a powerful thing, and I like to make my own worlds up based on the words, rather than have it plugged into me.

I also hate remakes. And before reading this book I thought this was a simple remake of Battle Royale, which I love. There are similarities, but you can say that about many books or works of arts. Art influences art. Books influence books. And I didn't have to read much of this book to know that I would love it, just as I love Battle Royale, Nineteen Eighty Four, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, Big Brother, even The Truman Show which has some similarities. For some unknown reason, I've not properly seen The Running Man, nor read it - this will have to be rectified.

Although it's a Young Adult book, I couldn't put The Hunger Games down, and I'm seriously looking forward to the next two books. I hope Twilight surprises me like this when I finally get around to reading those books.

5/5

NB: Entered into the Hogwarts Reading Challenge 2012 under Defence Against the Dark Arts, as this book is about war and self defence.

No comments:

Post a Comment