
5/5
Oh lordy lord, I really thought I had this one in the bag. I'm pretty sure I've seen/read this one before, but as explained in one of my WWW Wednesday posts, I can read or watch a mystery story over and over without ever remembering the outcome. The fact that I had all of this unravelled along with Poirot, and I was able to enjoy Hasting's bumblings, made this book so much lovelier for me. And then, right at the end, BOOM, it all turns upside down on its head and I'm completely baffled. Love it.
This is the second Poirot book written by Christie, and although she indirectly compares the lovely Poirot to the genius that is Sherlock Holmes (no-one compares to Holmes), she does indeed prove that Poirot belongs up there with Holmes, maybe not at the top of the pedestal, but definitely adorning the sides.
A quick recount of the story if you're interested in this book. It starts with Poirot and Hastings being summoned to France as a man, Monsieur Renauld, is in fear of his life. When they get there, they find that Mr Renauld has just been murdered on the golf site that is being developed nearby. The duo find themselves involved in finding the murderer, and meanwhile Hastings falls in love! Incredible, I know. There are lots of confusing clues, a battle of wits against two detectives, and many twists and turns which will leave the reader feeling a little exasperated, but satisfied. It is enjoyable to know exactly what is going on in a good detective story, but truth be told, you want to be somewhat surprised at the end, otherwise what would be the point in reading a mystery? This book did just that for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment