Sunday, 15 January 2012

A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers, Xiaolu Guo

A very interesting read, especially if you have ever been an immigrant or have taught English as a second language. It gives the reader an insight into Chinese culture and their differing beliefs and values of that of the 'west'. Wish I had read this book two years ago when I was living in Japan.

3/5

NB: Entered into the Hogwarts Reading Challenge 2012 under Muggle Studies for two reasons. The first being that it didn't fit anywhere else, but the second and most important, is that the heroine in the story has to understand a completely different culture other than her own, and this book, or diary, is her way of doing that. I thought it fit quite well into the subject of Muggle Studies, which is a subject which deals with understanding a different culture other than your own (in the Hogwarts' world of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment