Monday, 28 January 2013

Musing Mondays

MusingMondays5
Hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.

Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
 
 
When I was young, I wanted to be a writer and would write all sorts of short stories. We are a family of hoarders, and amongst a load of old photos and things, I found a little black notepad belonging to my mum's dad (I think). In it was a list of titles of I don't know what, but I loved it, and used those titles to make up my own stories. I don't know where it is now, but I'm sure it's somewhere in the house.
 
Back in 2009, I was living and working in Japan, and in April I found myself in a little English pub whilst holidaying in Thailand. One of the little quirks of this pub was the English second (or more) hand books that it sold very cheap. I'm a sucker for stuff like this, and I found myself buying Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Little Women, Emma and The Secret Garden along with my pint of lager. And it is there that my reading adventure began.
 
I'm not sure where I got the Moleskine from, but I started to record everything that I read, the dates and score out of 5 from then on. I have all of my 50 book challenges in there, as well as my two A-Z challenges, books from the TV show Lost, the BBC's 100 book list (the books I've read highlighted in pink), Authors I Want To Read More Of, and more recently, my page tally. I also have lists at the back for Notes (things I want to read or look into), and quotes (every quote you see on my sidebar is written in the back of the Moleskine).
 
I love my little black book. Who knows, one day my future grandchild, or great grandchild may come across my book and love it as much as I loved my grandad's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment