4/5
Well, I'm not really sure what to make of this book. It starts off with an introduction by the author, Dyson, explaining his history with ghost stories and how he came to write this book. He then lays out some stories for our perusal, giving an account of his experiences when visiting the setting of each one. The book then takes a different turn by becoming another book of a similar name, again recounting some ghostly stories. And so on. I'm not even sure I fully understand the last few pages, so the less said about that the better.
The stories within the book were good, they didn't scare me but I enjoyed them as creepy little stories about the supernatural and the unknown. I have a feeling some of them will stick with me, as one or two did when I read Dyson's Never Trust A Rabbit twelve years ago. I liked that they didn't provide an answer, letting the reader make their own mind up on what happened, why and how. And not only on the stories, but about the very essence of the book itself - why did Dyson write this book, and what happened to him on his journey? There is a running theme in the book which I didn't get till about halfway through, which I also enjoyed.
And there's also that nagging question that won't go away. Were any of the stories actual accounts from real people, or did they all come from Dyson's mind? I guess that's up to me to decide...

No comments:
Post a Comment