2.5/5
This book contains two short stories about two middle aged women and sex. In the first story, the main character, a widow, decides to let two students lodge with her, and works as a kind of acting patient for medical students. These lodgers introduce her to a different side of sex that she is used to, and the story slowly sees her develop into a totally different person. In the second story, another middle aged woman marries off her son to a girl who apparently is not worthy of him. We learn more about this son, his secrets and the secrets of others as the story progresses, but I don't want to say much in fear of spoilers.
I remember reading Alan Bennet's Talking Heads at college and loving it, but this didn't live up to the same standards for me. Some of the language felt too wordy and I just couldn't get my teeth into any of the characters. The second story felt rushed and might have been better as a longer tale. I liked the themes in both stories, just didn't much like the execution unfortunately.

No comments:
Post a Comment